PASTURE RAISED CHICKEN
- CHICKEN THAT ACTUALLY TASTES LIKE CHICKEN -
These guys have 24/7 access to bugs, grubs, grain, and grass—all the essential components to a happy, healthy, chemical and hormone-free chicken. As for time, our pasture raised chickens take at least twice as long to raise as the conventionally raised ‘shed birds’.
LET'S UNPACK THAT $6 CHOOK
You know the one. It’s sitting in your local supermarket, conveniently roasted, and ready for your kids to tuck into for dinner tonight — yes, that one. Six bucks. Good value, right? Well, I guess it depends on what you deem as value.
- LET THE AMMONIA MARINATION PROCESS BEGIN -
Let’s look at what your $6 is buying. Your chicken starts out in a breeding shed as a fertilised egg. The egg is artificially incubated for 21 days until it hatches. From here, your day-old chick travels to a commercial shed with up to 60,000 other chicks; it’ll remain in this shed until it dies, never seeing sunlight or grass in its short life. It’ll probably have ammonia burns on its underside because the bedding of the shed won’t be changed. But don’t worry, your chicken’s heavily medicated to ‘protect’ you (the consumer) from getting sick when you eat its meat.
- 21 DAYS TO BECOME 'NUTRIENT-DENSE' PROTEIN -
Your chicken grows rapidly (thanks to ‘enhanced feed’, constant heating, and increased lighting) so fast that it’ll likely have trouble walking by dispatch-day, which could be as early as 21 days of age. Think about it, as consumers we’re buying ‘nutrient-dense’ protein, that in itself, struggles to stand on its final day. Contradictory, perhaps?
- dinner preparation in the bag – literally -
From the shed, your chicken travels to the abattoir, where it’s slaughtered, plucked, processed, and packaged for sale. Then, your chicken’s on the road again – destination: supermarket. From here, a worker unpacks, marinates, seasons, stuffs, and cooks your chicken. Once it’s cooked to perfection, it’s placed in a warmer, waiting patiently for you to take home and feed to your children.
- the true cost -
Think about all those processes your chicken’s been through from egg to cooked product. For $6. Sounds like great value, right? But to whom?
- The farmer, who’s cutting every corner to make merely cents per chicken?
- The abattoir, who’s forced to compromise ethical processing standards to pay their staff?
- The multiple truck drivers skipping rest breaks to efficiently deliver your chicken?
- The team at the grocery store expected to cook yours (and hundreds of other) chicken dinners in less than an hour?
- Your children, consuming meat that’s had nutritional value (and taste) swapped out for chemicals and antibiotics?
Think on it.
As the consumer, you hold the purse of change. Be the change. For your family's health and the livelihood of everyone who's contributed to the roast chook on your dinner table.
WHERE YOU'LL FIND WOLKI PRODUCTS
GOT A RESTAURANT?
LOOKING TO PUT LOCAL PASTURE RAISED CHICKEN ON YOUR MENU? WE CAN HELP.
Fill out the form below and we will contact you as soon as possible.
Alternatively, please call Jake Wolki on 0459 225 666 or view more contact options at the bottom of this page.